Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Will changing my dogs food give her 3 week old puppies still

Customer Question

Will changing my dogs food give her 3 week old puppies still nursing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Will the food she eats upset their tummy Md give them stinky runny poohs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Mum is prospect and dad is karma
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.

Are you asking if changing the mothers food can effect the puppies?

What food is she eating now and has she always been on this food?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry that is what I mean..she is on dry food puppy biscuits and tones of water as she always has been
But I cooked her some mince and rice to mix with her biscuits... and I also gave her some chicken necks..
and now the puppies have this smelly runny poohs and I am super worried and I feel terrible if I have hurt the pups by doing that
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. Please do not feel bad. Any changes in diet could potentially effect the pups so yes this could be the problem. That said puppies are also almost always born with worms and they are at the right age for us to start seeing things like loose smelly stools. Most vets recommend doing the first deworming at 3-4 weeks with Pyrantal only, repeating every 3-4 weeks until 12 weeks of age.

As long as the pups continue to eat well and are otherwise acting normal I would not be to concerned but try not to give mom to many treats. If the loose stool continues then I would get them dewormed. Keep a close eye on them as pups can decline very quickly from dehydration due to loose stool. If you notice they are not as active, their gums are dry or sticky instead of nice and moist, they start vomiting or stop eating then I would have them seen immediately.

I hope this helps and the pups feel better soon. Give them all a good pet from me. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I just wanted to check in with you and see how the pups were doing.