Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Broadway Pet Hospital

I gave a 4 year old min pin. He is lying down and just

Customer Question

Hi. I gave a 4 year old min pin. He is lying down and just starting panting and breathing hard and yawns. Comes and goes. He can't get comfortable. Just being weird all the suddeb
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Joey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joey?
Customer: He has allergies. He is constantly lacking his legs. He has ALWAYS had a bloated and extended abdomen. Vet says normal. Today it's extra extended.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. He licks both front paws. He also gets analysis glands exteacted every 2 months. He just had it done 2 weeks ago, but he turns and tries to lick his hind legs and but all random. Like there is a big there.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Dani, I'm a small animal veterinarian and I'm happy to help with Joey. How is he doing now? Did anything happen that you know of before the panting and breathing hard? Please let me know how he's doing and any additional information you have and I'll be happy to offer some advice. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We were just laying around and all the sudden he started breathing/panting heavily. Also. He LOVES going out in front yard. About 10 minutes ago, I opened the door and was like come on jo jo, let's go outside. He walked to the front door and just laid down. He just looks blah. I cooked him with a rag, and he was all spunky. That only lasted a minute. And now he back to the way he was. Just blah

Did he get into anything that you know of? Any vomiting? Are you able to lift his lip and see if his gums are pink? You mentioned that he has a history of allergies with licking his feet anal gland problems - does he taking any medications?

Causes of his symptoms, heavy breathing and lethargy, I think of overheating (depending on where you're located it may be very hot today); pain - was there any injury that you know of?; heart or lung problems (is he coughing or just breathing hard?); weakness from blood loss, or other metabolic problem such as liver or kidney issue.

Are you comfortable taking his temperature rectally? This will be useful information.

If his gums are pale or blue, then he should definitely go to an emergency clinic tonight - is there a 24 hour ER vet clinic you can take him to?

In the meantime, you can try offering him water to make sure he stays hydrated; you can give Benadryl 1mg per pound if you think his allergies are flaring up.

Please keep me updated and I'll make additional recommendations. And please make sure to rate me when you are satisfied with the service you've received as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. Thanks!

I hope Joey is doing well. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please make sure to rate me as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. Thanks

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?