Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My begal basset hound has soft poop with blood. but is

Customer Question

my begal basset hound has soft poop with blood. but is eatting and acting normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the basset hound's name and age?
Customer: jax and 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jax?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From what you have described, Jax is suffering from a mild digestive disturbance caused possibly by something that he may have ingested. The blood you see is not serious because this soft stool causes irritation to the very sensitive rectal mucosa which , in turn , causes small blood vessels to break and bleed. Once the disturbance is resolved, this will resolve on its own.

For this, follow these instructions:

Fast Jax for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the diarrhea has resolved, then wean Jax back onto regular food. If the this persists especially during the fast, take your sweet Jax to your vet for an exam and lab work and a fecal exam to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta