Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

What is a natural antibiotic

Customer Question

what is a natural antibiotic for dogs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

What kind of illness are you trying to treat?

What kind of dog are we talking about?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have several small breeds not ready any type of illness we just got over an outbreak of parvo just wanted something to help protect them keep healthy besides the vaccine they have been given
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

So you're thinking of just giving an antibiotic proactively?

Are you a breeder?

Have all the dogs been vaccinated now?

Did you clean everything that was in contact with the dogs/fecal material/vomit, ect after the outbreak?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
done everything burned as well as bleached gave booster shots to all
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Here's the problem with giving antibiotics proactively....there are two kinds of bacteria...anaerobic and aerobic and and different antibiotics work on different bacteria. If you were to just give an aerobic antibiotic to the dogs, it wouldn't protect against anaerobic and vice versa.

Also, we don't recommend giving proactive antibiotics because the dogs system will build up a resistance to that class of antibiotics and then if they get something that requires that kind of medication, it won't work.

Additionally....parvo is a virus and as you may or may not know, viruses aren't cured with antibiotics. Viruses...like parvo or the flu....are treated systematically, meaning you treat the symptoms while waiting for the virus to run it's course.

If you wanted to do something to help build up their immune systems, you could add an over-the-counter probiotic to their diet, but I would definitely not recommend giving antibiotics for 'just in case' concerns.

I hope thi shelps.