Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I believe he is having muscle spasms in s neck. : Muscle

Customer Question

I believe he is having muscle spasms in his neck.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Muscle spasms in neck
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: yelps if he moves his head
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dodger and he is 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dodger?
Customer: 12 year old overweight. we just got a new puppy
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: he is normally healthy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

What breed of dog do you have?

When you call his name will he pick his head up to look at you or will he mostly use his eyes to look up?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Have there been any ticks on him that you know of?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is a dachshund. He looks up can't really lift head. He yelped when I kissed his heads. Kind of pushed it down when I did. No ticks but we have caught fleas. He has been eating and drinking less. We also have a 4 month old puppy. We have had him since memorial day. It is keeping dodger a bit busy. Can I Gove him tramadol?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that information. What I would be concerned about is a disc in the neck that is pressing on the nerve. Dachshunds are prone to intervertabral disc disease and this can happen in the neck or spine.

IF the tramadol was originally prescribed for him then you can, but it is a pain killer and if there is a disc issue it may not take care of the pain , usually an anti inflammatory such as Rimadyl is given in conjunction with the tramadol.

If it was not prescribed for him you have to make sure the dosing is correct for his weight and I will direct you to a link that will tell you dosing. http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/tramadol-hydrochloride-ultram

What I would try first though is plain aspirin (not tylenol or ibuprofen) as aspirin is an anti inflammatory. If it is a soft tissue injury then the aspirin should help with that. I will direct you to dosing for that as well. http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Make sure for now that the dog gets strict cage rest, no playing or climbing on anything, and outings are for potty only.

Here is more on IVDD http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-%E2%80%93-cervical-area

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you...will ice or heat help?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry for the delay, computer glitch. Yes, if you alternate ice and heat it will help. Just be sure that the ice and heat does not directly touch the skin. Put a towel around whatever you use. Go 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.