Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My mini dachshund got into a fight with my other dog. He's

Customer Question

My mini dachshund got into a fight with my other dog. He's cut up pretty good with one spot that looks red and blue-ish towards the center of the bite mark. He seems alert and has calmed down and not shaking as much. We washed off the cuts with peroxide and put neosporin on all the bite marks but just worried he could be bleeding internally possibles?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long ago was the fight?

How deep is this puncture?

What dose of Aspirin are you giving? Any active bleeding from the wounds?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It couldn't have been more than an hour or two ago. No bleeding. The aspirin was a baby 81mg. He weighs 12 pounds. Photos are attached. The white stuff is neosporin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Were there any breaks to the skin (just in case the Neosporin is covering them)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Some small breaks that look due to teeth. The worst looking is the mark under his leg that is red and then blue-ish towards the center
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you again,

Based on the photos this just looks like superficial skin damage with bruising from the other dog grabbing him. And while I am thankful to see lovely pink gums, I do have to warn you that this bruising may be looking worse because you are using Aspirin. While it is an anti-inflammatory we use in dogs on occasion, we don't do so when there they have suffered a trauma. This is because it is a blood thinner and thus makes it harder for the body to clot bleeds (hence why we may have more dramatic bruising then expected). So, we'd need to stop using it, cool compress the bruise and follow up with the family vet for a safer pain relief option (ie Metacam, Previcox, Onsior, etc) if he is stiff or sore in the days to come.

Otherwise in this case and with those lovely pink gums, we'd not be worried about internal bleeding at this stage. We'd of course want to monitor that the gums stay that color over the next 24 hours just in case, but again from the photos this just looks like dramatic bruising (even the blue area which is just the center of the bleed) alone. So, we can be thankful we haven't any deep punctures but need to stop the Aspirin to let the body clot its blood, avoid the bruising get any worse, and let this heal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there anything OTC I can give him for pain?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Unfortunately, there isn't an OTC safe option we can use. As I noted Aspirin tends to be the only one, but in bleeding cases should not be used. The only other human ones some people have access to would be Tramadol or Gabapentin (tablets only). But otherwise this really is a case where we'd need prescription options if he is sore.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would I be able to procure a prescription from you?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

My apologies but I am afraid that isn't a service we can provide, as it is illegal to write prescriptions for patients we have not physically examined. Only a vet who has examined him in person can do so.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for Peanut.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peanut. How is everything going?

nekovet