Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

My dog sounds like a duck when he gets hot and

Customer Question

My dog sounds like a duck when he gets hot and excited...what causes that
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: He had two surgeries when he was younger and then here in the last yeas or so he starts to sound like a duck when he is either hot or when he gets excited
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Not really but it's like he has a dry throat and trying to hack up a luggie lol
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No very play full with my other yorkie
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Fido and he is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fido?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane and will try to assist you with Fido tonight. I have a few questions- When did the problem start? What were his surgeries for?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About a year or two...and he had to have some baby teeth pulled and he had a liver shunt
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
More like a year ago not 2

Well the first this that comes to mind is a condition called "collapsing trachea". In smaller breed dogs, the trachea's cartilage is not as strong as it should be, and when excited or panting heavily, the windpipe can fold or collapse in on itself with expiration, and this can cause the loud honking sounds when breathing. This condition can also be exacerbated by him pulling on the leash if he is wearing a collar, so using a harness can help with that. This problem usually happens with older dogs, but I have seen it happen in many younger dogs like Fido as well. I would suggest having him checked out by his veterinarian for this, where they can try and determine what is causing these episodes. Sometimes medications can decrease these episodes if it is due to tracheal collapse- however the sounds you are hearing may be due to some other cause. Tracheal collapse and other upper airway conditions can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, and in some cases require special x-rays or tracheoscopy or bronchoscopy. A good starting point would be his regular veterinarian, since it sounds like they have been doing a good job taking care of Fido so far with his other problems. Has this helped?

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight? If not, please provide a rating.

Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Please don't forget to provide a rating!