Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital

My dog ate old motor oil about 45 minutes ago what do I do :

Customer Question

My dog ate old motor oil about 45 minutes ago what do I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Izzy and she is a little over a year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Izzo?
Customer: Its old motor oil
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry you are going through this. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. Do you know how much Izzo ate?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I dont it was all over her mouth snd her breath smelled like it

I would be really worried about the potential toxicity of this. if it was a small amount it can cause chemical burn to the mouth, esophagus, and even stomach. if she inhaled any, it could cause burn to the lungs which can cause difficulty breathing. I would recommend getting her to the e clinic to get her some activated charcoal, they can examine her and see if anything else is needed, probably some medication to coat the gi tract to reduce any burning chances to the rest of the gi tract. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING.

Do you have any additional questions for me today?

I hope that Izzo is doing ok today!

I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.

How is Izzy doing? Were you able to get her in to be seen?