Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She just ate a coffee bean : she is 2.5 pound puppy : nugget

Customer Question

she just ate a coffee bean
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: she is 2.5 pound puppy
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: nugget
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nugget?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: yorkie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Now I have not heard back from you. Though since this is a time sensitive situation for Nugget, I do want to leave my thoughts in case you are having issues replying.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate different coffee beans will have different caffeine contents. Therefore, with her being so small and caffeine being a risky drug for a pup (as it can cause agitation, hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, an elevated heart rate and blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, and seizures), we’d be best to err on the side of caution here.

Therefore, if she did have this in the past 2 hours, we’d want to consider inducing vomiting now. To do so at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively if it has been longer, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, this is a risky ingestion for a pup this small. Therefore, it’d be safest to use the above now and reduce the risk of absorption and these signs. Of course, if you do see any of these signs, we’d want to plan to have her seen urgently by the local vet for IV fluids and symptomatic care to flush the caffeine out quickly and avoid any harm for her.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )