Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 9 month old 10 lb male dog was neutered 5 days ago -- he

Customer Question

My 9 month old 10 lb male dog was neutered 5 days ago -- he is still in pain, walking in circles, yelped when he pooped this am -scoots on floor - took him back to vet yesterday, vet could find nothing wrong - Pippin is on pain meds and tranquiler but still hurting - has cone on head so he won't bite himself. What could have gone wrong? Why is he in pain? What can I do for him ??? Please help me help Pippin.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Pippin's discomfort. Is he still eating and drinking well? Do you feel that he's urinating normally? What does the actual incision area look like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating and drinking - peeing and pooping - however, this am when he pooped, he screamed. The incision looks good - no redness, no infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just answer page went blank -- so could not answer you -- what should I ask my vet to do? x-rays? what can go wrong with a neuter? as something is obviously wrong with Pippin...... I don't feel I'm getting help through this site as it keeps going off - and my dog is still crying. Judy
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for my delay. Had technical issue on my side too. That is good that he's eating and drinking well. The feces that he produced to day that caused the discomfort, how did it look? Was there anything in it that could have caused discomfort like any woody material or bones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - feces looked normal. What can go wrong with neuter?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Honestly. The typical expected problems that can happen with a neuter are bleeding / swelling at the actual site of the neuter. IF there is no swelling here and the incision looks good, then it would seem that the neuter site itself is healing well. Could there be some irritation from a suture inside the body at that place? Typically if this is the issue, then there is swelling or discharge there. I've seen a few that have had staples used on the skin that could be causing discomfort. Could he be posturing to defecate and by spreading the legs that puts a little more stress / discomfort on the incision? IF that is the case, then the pain medication and time is about all that can be done for that. With him eating well, drinking well, urinating well, and not being overtly in pain otherwise, it would seem that time is going to be the biggest factor here. I've seen some that just are more uncomfortable post procedure. As far as pain medication, you could ask your vet if they have anything else to add into his protocol. Don't start anything without their approval as they need to make sure there are no interactions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is a suture inside, what can be done about it? His stitches are supposed to dissolve - vet tried a dif pain med yesterday but as that didn't seem to help, this am I reverted back to first pain med vet sent me home with -- this am, gave him 1/2 pain pill and 1/2 tranquilzer provided by vet -- Pippin is lying down, mostly quiet but every few minutes will yelp. Very distressing to see my little guy so stressed....and it seems as if nothing can be down except wait it out. Would an x-ray show suture inside? If this happened, what needs to be done???? Thank you. Judy
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

There is really no way to know if the suture inside is causing this. An x-ray wouldn't show anything with suture issues. If they are dissolvable, then again time should help to improve things. I would be more worried about the suture inside being an issue if there was swelling there or discharge. I would make sure that he continues to eat and drink well. It is also important that he continues to defecate and urinate normally too. IF the discomfort isn't getting worse, then staying the course with the pain meds, rest and time would be the most likely progression to follow. I've seen some greatly stressed by their E-collars, but they are there to keep them from getting to the sutures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why is Pippin scooting his butt on the floor --- the crying - his discomfort is driving him crazy and me too ---
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

The scooting could be due to irritation of the rectal / scrotal region. Some can have razor burn on the area if there was some irritation from that. Typically there is something visible on the skin if this is present. I would be curious to know what the stool consistency is. If it is normal, then it would seem to be less of an issue potentially. When stools are lose, they can cause scooting. Could an anal glad need expressed?