Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

He is doing the downward dog position , seems unhappy :

Customer Question

He is doing the downward dog position , seems unhappy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hopper , hes about 1 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hopper?
Customer: I dont think so generally no problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 6 months ago.

Hi there I am Dr. Kane and will do my best to assist you tonight with Hopper. I have a few questions for you- what type of dog is he? Any vomiting or loss of appetite? Anything else unusual tonight?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he"s a australian shepard and dachsund mix . he ate some grass and vomited that up , he just isnt his energetic self
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was reading about bloat , is there any way to tell ?

Sounds like his tummy is off. Did he eat his meals normally today? How long has he seemed "off" to you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My wife mentioned it, so most of the day I think I got home from work around 330, he gets into downward dog and stays for awhile , and looks uncomfortable , not sure about meals but doesn't want snacks and such, which is unusual
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He was fine last night

The cases of bloat that I have seen, the dog usually has a lot of dry retching (attempting to vomit with nothing coming out), the abdomen may seem very bloated/distended (but sometimes not), and they cannot seem to get comfortable. If he is bringing up something when he vomits- (yellow bile, foam, or food)- it is not very likely to be bloat- although there are some exceptions to every rule. If he has exhibited the signs of bloat I would recommend getting him checked as soon as possible as it can be come life-threatening very quickly. The "prayer" position, or "downward dog" position can often be an indication of abdominal discomfort- which can be due to many causes (intestinal foreign body, pancreatitis, parasite, etc.)- and these can sometimes be serious as well. I would get him checked out by a veterinarian if this continues tomorrow- or if his symptoms worsen (protracted vomiting, increasing discomfort)- tonight. Has this helped?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i will keep an eye on him , thanks

I hope Hopper is back to feeling well soon! Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with, and please provide me with a rating when you have a moment.

Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Please don't forget to provide a rating!