Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Dog has a black bump on foot.

Customer Question

Dog has a black bump on foot.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this black bump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not with the dog currently. It is a small black bump on his toe. He doesn't seem to have any discomfort at this moment and has been eating fine.

Black bumps in that area are worrisome for melanoma - a dangerous skin cancer. There are benign melanocytomas, however, that can look like melanomas. Because we can't tell the difference we either watch these carefully for rapid growth and their causing pain in which case they need to be removed and biopsied or we don't take the chance of it getting larger and possibly metastasizing by removing it now while it's small and not causing him any discomfort. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What are chances that it could be melanoma? Is it very common?

Melanocytoma - the benign form of melanoma is far more common. Melanomas in dogs have a predilection for the head, trunk, and digits. I became concerned when you mentioned the words "black" and "toe" (a digit) in the same sentence.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He went to the doctor about a month ago, she said to watch it and if it grows then we need to bring him. She said she believes that it is nothing.

Sounds good to me. That was my option #1 stated above.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here are the pics you asked for.

Thank you. Watch this area carefully. It isn't as nicely circumscribed (definite margins) as I'd like to see. If this even looks a smidge bigger to you after a month, don't hesitate to have it removed.