Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Not sure if anything is "wrong" per se... I have a 6 year

Customer Question

Not sure if anything is "wrong" per se... I have a 6 year old chihuahua who has never had allergy problems (to my knowledge...). He recently has become very sensitive to touch on his back. For example, when I pet him, he sort of shakes and his skin moves--he kind of reminds me of a cat. He also wakes up more frequently in the night and just sort of looks...uncomfortable, maybe?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Spanky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sankey?
Customer: he's a short haired chihuahua. stays indoors.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Spanky's situation. Is he eating and drinking normally? Is he able to walk normally? Is he as active and energetic during the day as normal?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to all of the above. Maybe isn't eating *quite* as much as normal, but its hard to say.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have two chihuahuas, actually, and they free feed rather than have scheduled meals. Neither are overweight.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, I live in Mississippi, and it has been fairly warm lately (in the 90s). Not sure if that helps or not.

That is good that Spanky is able to walk normally. It is also good that he's as active and energetic during the day. Do you feel he can run and jump as normal as usual? Sometimes the warm weather can play a factor in behavior.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He can run and jump just fine.

That is great that he can run and jump just fine. Allergy problems typically show as skin issues with irritation / itchiness. They will typically chew at their paws as a very common sign of it. As far as being sensitive at his back region, do you see any changes with the skin there? Is he scooting more?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I don't really see any skin changes. Don't see any signs of fleas or irritation. And no, he's not scooting more.

That is good that there are no skin changes there. Also good that there aren't any signs of fleas and there is no scooting. If he was scooting more, then an anal gland issue could be at hand and that may be helped by having them expressed. As far as him being sensitive there, could he have some very mild back discomfort or hip issues? This would be more suspect if he wasn't playing, running and jumping as normal. Could this be something temporary? What I'd be watching for are lesions / issues with the skin in that area, not getting around / playing as well, or him getting more depressed. These would be potential signs of this getting more progressed.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?