Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
25161683

I have a 2 year old Pitt. He is struggling to poop and when

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old Pitt. He is struggling to poop and when he does it is watery and has some slime and blood in it. This has been going on for a couple days now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kiko
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Keiko?
Customer: A new treat he has been getting is cheese. I would say he is given about a slice a day.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did this start after starting the cheese treat?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No the cheese treats started a few months ago but I will admit it has gotten more frequent to the everyday about a week or 2 ago.
He is him self for the most part. Sometimes I see he looks sad but for the most part he is normal.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Sorry, 2 more questions

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is the feces dry or hard?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Last week my daughter noticed slime casing on some poop and while picking up the yard i found a couple more. I noticed yesterday morning he could not poop in the afternoon when i was home and out with him I noticed him struggle and walked toward me a little funny like poop might have been stuck on his behind so when I checked I found a small amount of blood but enough to concern me.
This morning I watched him as he struggled, I checked and more blood, I looked for the poop and the poop was very small compared to his normal size and it had slime and blood with a little blood on his behind.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it was normal texture other then the slime.

Friend, when we see slime (mucus) with blood in the feces it is a sign of inflammation in the colon. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. The straining is secondary to the inflammation. Possible causes are: Constipation (when the feces is hard), intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, etc.

I would recommend having family veterinarian check his stool for intestinal parasites as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Increase his water intake by offering low sodium chicken broth.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with family veterinarian for a fecal analysis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
do I add the chicken broth to his water?

You could, yes. Make sure it is low sodium.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I went to three stores. No one carries the fortiflora. One store suggested goat milk. Is this a good substitute

I am sorry the pet stores you went didn't carry fortiflora, did they have another probiotic?

No, do not give goat milk or dairy products it could make the inflammation worst.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
all had normal Probiotic.

You could have bought a different brand.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I put off the goat milk. I will buy the probiotic tomorrow

Fair enough.