Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
25161683

He has a tumor growing larger on s stomach it is tear drop

Customer Question

He has a tumor growing larger on his stomach it is tear drop shaped and has been growing for the past 3-4 months he is 10 vet said to watch but now he constantly licks it should I find a vet that can do a biopsy?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Riley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?
Customer: We don't exercise but we eat well he is a golden/lab mix and weighs 54lbs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has he created any sores or irritated the tissue by licking?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's bleeding

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I prefer to type

Friend, there are many type of tumors that affect the skin of dogs some could be benign like a lipoma or there could be malignant types. You are right, a biopsy would be the approach to determine the type of tumor. However, if he is inflicting damage to the tissue I would recommend you discuss with your vet about removing the tumor completely and then submitting the tissue for a biopsy. This approach will not only give a diagnosis but may be curative. In addition, it may be least expensive in the long run. For now it is important that you stop him from licking the sore. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to make it worst. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the advice

You're welcome. :)