Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is a 45 pound sheppard mix with a limp. He has had it

Customer Question

He is a 45 pound sheppard mix with a limp. He has had it since yesterday. What can i give him to help him rest and see if he walks thid off or if i have to take him to the vet. Asprin or nsaids
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes i cannot see anything wrong or feel any swelling but he does not want me to touch it at all
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zeus
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeus?
Customer: He has gad a limp vefore from chasing lizards. Squirrels. Etc and will walk it off in a day or so. I just want to give him something to ease his pain and watch him today and then if he is no better tomorrow.. i will take him to the vet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as Zeus can bear weight on the leg, hasn't suffered a traumatic injury (where fractures or bleeds were a concern), and is on no other medications or has any ongoing health issues; you can choose to rest him and use a low dose of buffered aspirin today. This can be given at a dose of 225mg for a 45lb dog every 12-24 hours after food. If he has any stomach upset or black stools after this, we'd need to stop treatment. Otherwise, if this was just a mild strain, this can help settle that for him. Though if his signs linger or he is very sore, we'd want to have him checked so that his vet can start a stronger pain relief option for him once the Aspirin has worn off.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )