Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

I have got a beautiful rescue collie who keeps looking up at

Customer Question

I have got a beautiful rescue collie who keeps looking up at the ceiling wherever he is, we think he is partially deaf also as he never comes when we call him but otherwise he is a great dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the collie?
Customer: Regards
JA: Where does the collie seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't appear to be hurting
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the collie's name and age?
Customer: 9yr old called Jasper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?
Customer: He is afraid of other dogs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

hello and thank you for using this site to help you. This breed is prone to seizure activity which does not always mean that a dog is going to go stiff , or start paddling its legs with rolling eyes. There are different components to seizures, some are focal where a dog actually sees something, some can lead to fly biting where the dog snaps at imaginary flies and sometimes it leads to air licking. Because you do not know a full history I would have your Vet do an exam for this.

Deafness is also prone to the Collie breed so that should be checked as well so you can keep him safe.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you that is very helpful but, what should I do if he does fit?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

when it comes to seizures , you can only keep him safe from harm and wait it out. If a grand mal seizure lasts 10 minutes , if it happens two or more times in a 24 hour period or the dog goes into another one before completely coming out of the first one then go to a Vet as soon as you can. If grandmal seizures are infrequent then usually nothing is done. If the above happens then medication is given usually for life.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.