Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian

Our beagal mix dog got stung by a red hornet on the inside

Customer Question

our beagal mix dog got stung by a red hornet on the inside of her back right paw
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: peanut , 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Peanut?
Customer: she wont let my wife examine the sting area to get stinger out,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about poor Peanut's hornet sting paw.

Ideally we would remove the stinger to stop the toxin from being pumped in via the stinger, but I understand that she isn't cooperating.

Treatment is based upon stopping further allergic reaction by removing the stinger and then with antihistamines like Benadryl and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.

Is her breathing and activity level normal?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any difficulty breathing?

You can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at 1mg to 2mg per pound or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur.

Dogs take a really high dose of antihistamines compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make her a little sleepy.

You can also apply a cool compress to the worst areas and/or give her a cool water bath with an oatmeal based shampoo to soothe her skin. The cool water will close skin capillaries and reduce inflammation and oatmeal reduces inflammation. Lather gently, let it sit for several minutes and then rinse with cool water.

And then you'll need to watch her closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.

The swelling/redness should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.

In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. Those types of severe reactions are very rare.

Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.

Because you know now that she has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.

If you notice progression of her symptoms don't wait, have her checked on an emergency basis.

If you'd like you can have an emergency veterinarian check her now. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster. But if she seems to be doing well then I would just call them and let them know so it is on her record for future reference.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Sorry re-reading I realize I wasn't clear about who to notify about her reaction, 'just call them and let them know so it is on her record for future reference". I meant call her regular veterinarian as they would have her complete medical history that they can add this incident to.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****