Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

We came home from going out to eat and both our dogs are

Customer Question

Hi! We came home from going out to eat and both our dogs are panting heavily. My husband is concerned because the pest control guy came today and sprayed both in and out of the house. He's worried they have licked some off the floor or walls. They are panting and won't leave his side which is not really usual for them. Another thing to note is they also ate an entire loaf of bread while we gone that my daughter left on the counter. :( Should we take them to the ER vet or wait it out?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not that is it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** to hear that your dogs is unwell. I will do my best to help with your question.

​Personally, I would take the dogs to the ER right away. ​Toxicity from the pesticides is quite suspect. It would help the ER vets a lot in terms of treatment if you can find out from the pet control guy what product (and active ingredient) was used.

If it is hot where you are today, and the dogs have been active, heat stroke would be a possibility to also consider. There have been a lot of heat stress and heat stroke cases in dogs recently.

I doubt the bread had anything do with it, except that it suggests that the dogs are skilled at eating things that they shouldn't.