Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog is coughing and hacking like he has something in s

Customer Question

my dog is coughing and hacking like he has something in his throat that he wants to get out went to the vet twice in 1 day and he dosent do it there they suggest xray , they gave him a shot for mucus but its the same ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hauzer hes a mini schnauzer, everything else is good appitite , playing with toy fetch what the heck ?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no hes 8 yrs old and very durable runs a mile every day been healthy as can be not around dog parks at all ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. It is that time of year where we see a lot more reverse sneezing which would show sudden onset at random times of the day of a dog seeming to choke or gag on something. The episodes can last from a few seconds to a few minutes and then they subside as quickly as they came on. This is thought to be caused by allergies to airborne particles but it is not definite. It seems to coincide with the spring and fall months mostly but this can happen at any time. This is common in dogs and nothing to worry about

That being said, because of the breed of dog you have a collapse trachea can present similar symptoms so it is worth getting a hands on exam at some point.

I am going to direct you to links that go over a reverse sneeze and tracheal collapse for more information so you are prepared to discuss either with your vet. I would also suggest that you video tape the dog doing this so you can show it to your Vet as dogs don't often duplicate what they do at home in a vet office. It can also save you from expensive testing.

reverse sneezing

video of a dog with reverse sneeze

Tracheal collapse

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.