Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have Newfie he has scbs up back : Name is Argus and he

Customer Question

Hi I have Newfie he has scbs up back
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hi Name is ***** ***** he will be 5 in November
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: I am in Australia
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: melbourne
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have had a hot dry summer and never had this problem, he is nearly 5 years old.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We thought it may have been fertiliser in the garden and have healed him with daily swims in the ocean and regular brushing and keeping him indoors on Floorboards and away from Garden ect, this has been the best solution, but it is now winter and the problem has re-occure which makes me think diet or Allergies ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is he itching or rubbing the skin?

Has he been treated for fleas? If so, what product did you use and how long ago?

Has there been any changes to his diet in the few months before he showed signs?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have the inflatable neck brace so no not for the past weekYes has been treated by Vet for Fleas and Heart Worm Ect ( unsure of Brand but have been conscious because of hot spots)We now think allergy to environment or needs regular ocean swimming or a combination of bothThe breeder mentioned that Newfies have issues with Wheat in diet so removed that also around 3 months ago
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We changed diet 4 months ago (Hot dry summer) hotspots and message that our local Dry food Food (Blackhawk) was no longer manufactured well and caused some problems with other dogs.Changed to Raw diet BARF Dr B's Raw Diet, and Meals for Mutts Sardine and Salmon DRY Wheat FREE, with Fresh Tuna/Snapper and regular swimming,and brushing and he healed from most of what we thought were hotspots, the changed diet seemed to really Calm him with great results, we then changed environment to my wifes country property and within 3-4 days terrible result with licking and scratching back square one
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, with your great history there, we'd not be overly suspicious of diet based allergies. Instead, this sounds to be highly suspect of pollen or environmental (ie dust mites, storage mites, products used in the house, laundry soaps, carpet powders, etc). Though I do have to note that if the signs are mainly over the back, then flea allergy dermatitis would also be suspect.

With all this in mind, we do want to keep up on monthly flea treatment (especially since it only takes one bite to trigger the itchy allergic reaction itself). Further to that, with this being likely environmental, this can be tricky. Ideally, we want to review what is being used in the house and potentially remove as many allergens as possible. Any bedding should be washed in plain water.

Otherwise, we need to reduce the allergic reaction leading to these skin changes, therefore you can trial him on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Though if the signs are severe, then we may need to speak to the local vet about using a strong alternative like steroids, Atopica, or Apoquel. These will dampen and/or block the immune response to the allergen to settle the itch.

Finally, I am glad to hear that you have blocked his access to the area. Though further to that, we'd also want to topically cleanse any open lesions with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water) and then can alternate with an OTC antibiotic cream to prevent infection and hydrocortisone cream or spray to reduce focal irritation.

Overall, based on your excellent history, this does sound highly suspect for an environmental allergy and therefore we'd want to take the above approach as long as he is at the country property.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

How if everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.