Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She stopped playing several.days ago. She is a 21month old

Customer Question

She stopped playing several.days ago. She is a 21month old Chihuahua/Terrier mix. Usually active and playful. She is not eating well and has no "pep". Went to vet yesterday, got steroid injection, antibiotic injection, b12 injection. Had episodes of making snorkeling sound as if coughing up a fireball on exertion and in evening. Now taking nutrical 3 x a day pepidia pred. .4ml 2x away. SMZ TMP1.5ML 2x a day.Baytril 22.7mg twice a day, famitidine20mg twice a day. She is "snorkeling" less but as lethargic as she was. Barely eating,gave her 15cc water with syringe as nose is warm and have not seen her go to the water bowel. Heart rate 50 to 60 with a minute pause about every third beat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the terrier. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Mollie he started aggressive treatment for upper respiratory ailment but said if not real improvement in two days he will run more extensive tests which he was trying to avoid if possible for financial reasons. I am just worried that it is cardiac. She had a litter sister who died at 10 weeks, one with severe hypoglycemic episodes as a puppy. I raised her on goats milk with a syringe when her mother was killed when Mollie was 3 weeks old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mollie?
Customer: No just that I want her to get well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has your vet mentioned anything abnormal about her heart? Murmur, irregular beat?
2) Do you have a video to share of the episodes she was having?
3) What is her resting respiratory rate?
4) Any improvement on meds?