Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My puppy has these small bumpy rashes all over body,

Customer Question

My puppy has these small bumpy rashes all over body, including on her snout and by her eyes. I know she's last Chihuahua, and maybe party terrier.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Ava
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ava?
Customer: She started getting these spots right after a vet visit.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these rashes to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ How old is Ava, please?

A bacterial skin infection (pyoderma) and demodectic mange are important differential diagnoses in such a pup.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ava is about 10 weeks old.

Thank you! Demodectic mange (red mange) should be suspected. Puppies are born with this mange mite in their skin. Some will be clinically affected by the mite. In most cases, juvenile demodicosis will remiss unaided within a few months. If a secondary infection arises, however, the infection and mite should be treated with the appropriate antibiotic and one of many different therapies for demodicosis respectively.

Confirmation of this mange is done by skin scrapings while you wait in the exam room. It's a relatively easy diagnosis to make. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.