Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I'm . This evening when I touched my dog's ears he

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Michelle. This evening when I touched my dog's ears he immediately jerked his head away. I can't touch both his ears. It looks like it hurts.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is Bullet. ***** *****. 13 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bullet?
Customer: He has arthritis. He scratches his ears quite a bit. And sometimes shakes his head.
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. With what you are describing, he most likely has an ear infection. There can be a lot of inflammation and swelling in the ear canals that can make them very painful and itchy. I would have your vet take a look into the ears and determine what type of infection it is (i.e.; yeast, bacteria, serious bacteria, etc). Most likely, he will need to be on some type of steroid to get pain and inflammation under control quickly, so you can treat it at home with cleaning and topical medication to apply into the ear. With his age, it is possible that there is a tumor in the ear canal that can be underlying all of this. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He also has arthritis. What else can I give him for the pain.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Well, something like prednisone would help with the arthritis, but that cannot be given long term due to side effects. After doing a course of prednisone for potential ear inflammation, I would probably get him on an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (will not help with ear inflammation), such as Rimadyl, for pain control. Starting him on a glucosamine and omega-3 supplement (at least 30 mg per pound daily) may help as well. Alternatively, he can be prescribed gabapentin for pain control while on prednisone. Tramadol can also be used, but its pain control effect in dogs is under question now. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm using garlic pearl tablets for my arthritis. Can I use it on Bullet?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

I would be leery about using this. Dogs have been known to produce metabolites from garlic that can be toxic to their red blood cells. This isn't a product that is really used in dogs, so the efficacy and safety has not really been established. My thought is that the efficacy would be minimal, and I would be concerned about potential red blood cell issues. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My last question. He has thia growth on his lip.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

I don't really like the look of that growth. From the picture, I would be worried about oral cancer, potentially a squamous cell carcinoma. I would have your vet aspirate the mass or, better yet, just remove it and send it in for a biopsy. Hope this helps.