PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog is shivering and this morning she doesn't want to

Customer Question

my dog is shivering and this morning she doesn't want to open her eyes. She is 11 years old and a ***** *****.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bailey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: Not that I know of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Are you seeing any crusting at the eyes?
2) Is she unable or unwilling to open her eyes?
3) When she does open them, is she squinting?
4) Is she on any meds?
5) Any medical concerns she's being treated for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. No
5. No

Thank you for the additional information. If Bailey is squinting, there's a good chance that she has something in her eyes causing irritation. This can be something as minor as bits of debris that could have blown into her face when she went out to potty or could even be due to irritation from seasonal allergies.

Because the eyes are so sensitive to changes and can very quickly turn from a minor problem into a major problem, I would err on the side of caution and have her eyes checked to be sure there is nothing causing major irritation that might result in an ulcer in each eye. Failing this, try cool water compresses over each eye for 5 minutes at a time and try some antihistamines to see if this helps. She can receive 1-2mg of benadryl per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours, as needed.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.