PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She doesn't seem to be in pain our have loss of appetite.

Customer Question

She doesn't seem to be in pain our have loss of appetite. However, she is unable to walk much all of a sudden and kind of "collapses" when she goes to lay down.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lauren, 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lauren?
Customer: About 2 months ago had a drain procedure and antibiotics for an abcess (due to a small bite wound she sustained from another dog while on a walk)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is Lauren on any medication?
2) Any difficulty walking when she's up and moving?
3) Any hesitation to jump on furniture?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, thank you for responding.No, she's not on any medication.Yes, she can barely walk--I have to prompt her to try. I massaged her back legs and helped get stand up. She walked verrry slowly on her own then after about a min she collapses again almost like she has no more strength to stand up. This mourning she was able to walk enough to pee but tried to do #2 and didn't have the strength to stand.She definitely can't jump up on anything.It's so strange because just less than a month ago she could do all this and outrun even my ***** *****. She's a normally very hyper dog so it's not like her at ALL.

It sounds like she may be experiencing some arthritis. At her age, that's not unexpected. I would recommend scheduling her an exam with your veterinarian and talking to them about using some NSAIDs on her, at least for a trial, to see how they help her. Your vet may wish to go with something like meloxicam or rimadyl for a few days. Typically, we see a vast improvement almost overnight in dogs if discomfort was originally the issue.

X-rays are not a bad idea at this time to check for changes in her spine, hips and joints which might be contributing to the collapses that you're seeing. Depending on the diagnosis, other medications may be indicated, as well.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you! I'm going to give her some rimadyl and see how she responds then do the xrays of if that doesn't work.

You're welcome! Please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?