Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 27lb cavashon ate about 1/2 pkg of ant poison (borax).

Customer Question

my 27lb cavashon ate about 1/2 pkg of ant poison (borax). the full pkg is .36fl. oz. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: about .18 ounce of ant poison (borax)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today.

The good news is that unless a large amount of Borax is consumed, there's no worry about toxicity here.

At the amount she got, the most you're likely to see is going to be some digestive upset....possibly some vomiting and/or diarrhea. If you happen to see that, then you're going to need to pick up her food/treats and only allow her to have water in very small amounts for 24 hours.

After the 24 hours, you can give a bland diet of boiled white rice and boiled hamburger in small amounts for a day or so before slowly transitioning her back to her normal kibble.

If you happen to see any vomiting or diarrhea for longer than 24 hours, or if the dog develops lethargy, anorexia or any other unusual symptoms, then you should have the dog seen by a vet, just to be on the safe side, but I truly don't think you're going to see a problem here.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?