Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

We rescued a Terrier that was apparently used as a 'puppy

Customer Question

We rescued a Bull Terrier that was apparently used as a 'puppy mill'. She is allergic to Chicken, so she is on a special diet. Her approximate age is 9 or ten. A couple of weeks ago we took her to have her teeth cleaned - not an issue - although about a week later I noticed her lymph node glands under her jaw was swollen - then the next day the other side. She was not eating and/or drinking water - normally. So, I gave her a baby aspirin 81mg and she perked right up. Drank and ate. The next day she went back to not drinking or eating. So, another aspirin and the results the same, eating and drinking. I did not give her another aspirin the next day, nor Saturday. She has not drank and/or eaten. So, last night another aspirin - and she did not drink and/or eat. I am quite concerned. Both glands under her jaw are swollen and hard. Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: She is not a puppy - at least ten years old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long has she been with you?
2) How long ago specifically was the dental performed?
3) Any other abnormal symptoms prior to the lymph node enlargement?