Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My French Bulldogs testicals be me red and swollen

Customer Question

My French Bulldogs testicals be me red and swollen yesterday. He is 1.5 yrs old and was neutered in Jan. of this year. I washed the area and put 3-way ointment on, that helped the redness and swelling go away. He has not shown any signs of stress, licking etc. But they are inflamed again today. Should I take him to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Testicals?
Customer: Not that I can think of. No discharge they just look painful.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

A dog's testicles can become swollen for numerous reasons. It can be caused by an injury, which allowed microorganisms to enter the testicles. Some diseases like influenza or distemper can cause swelling. A contact allergy might also cause redness but I would also expect to see itchiness with an allergic reaction.

There is a disorder called Hydrocele which allows fluid to accumulate in the scrotum. A dog's testicles can also twist causing swelling and sudden pain. This is called Testicular Torsion. The testicles are also a site that can be affected by tumors as well in intact males. Your dog is fixed so that shouldn't be an issue.

If your dog's testicles are swollen you really need to take your dog into the vet to determine the cause and receive treatment. If you feel an allergic reaction might be to blame, you might try benadryl at a dosage of 1mg per pound every 8 hours and see if there is any improvement, but a vet visit would be in his best interest. If benadryl reduces the symptom then you would want to look for things that changed like a food or treat that is new, ca new cleaning supply or even lawn treatment.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?