Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Our dog was just fine until 11 days ago when suddenly he

Customer Question

Our dog was just fine until 11 days ago when suddenly he stopped walking. He is able to sit up using his front legs....and he shows absolutely no signs of pain...we have checked every joint, and he is able to wag his tail, and move his back legs when laying down. When we stand him up he can bear weight...and shows no signs of discomfort or pain....but will only stand briefly. He is drinking, and eating, and has output. He is approximately 6 1/2-7 years old, and a small dog...heinz 57. We live in the country and he is an outside dog...or was until this happened. He has been inside for a week now, and will bark when he needs to be taken outside. We do have copperheads, and coral snakes in our area, but are unsure if he was bitten. Although he has had no swollen areas, or sore spots.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not really...other than he is showing no signs of any pain, or discomfort, still has a good attitude, and is normal in every way other than not being able to use his back legs...(although they do move when he wants them to..he does a military type crawl when outside in the yard...but can not seem to stand up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.

Can you tell me being in the country do you have Ticks?

Have you noticed any ticks on the dog?

Joan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We live in the USA...South Texas region, and yes...although I have treated him with frontline each month since January, he did have a lot of seed/sand ticks on him. He has since been bathed, and the ticks we found on him have been removed..and I have given him his monthly treatment.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

Have you checked in between the toes? I suspect what you are seeing is Tick Paralysis. I cannot be sure because I cannot check him over but the description is that of a Tick paralysis: usually about 5 to 7 days after the ticks star feeding a toxin carried by them affects teh dog causing hin leg paralysis: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2105&aid=482

Please have the dog into the Vet and let them know this is a suspected Tick Paralysis. They can treat accordingly and he should regain the use of his leg after treatment.

Joan