Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Broadway Pet Hospital

My name is . My dog is a Teddy Roosevelt Terrier, he has

Customer Question

Hello my name is James. My dog is a Teddy Roosevelt Terrier, he has always been a little over weight in February at the vet his weight was 25 pounds. We've noticed that he has been losin a lot of weight gas so I took him to the vet Friday and he is 18 pounds now. He is always doing the downward dog pose. He doesn't seem to be in pain, he still eats and like to go for walks. We have noticed he has been vomiting sometimes after he eats and sometime it is just bile. The vet ran blood work and said everything looks good nothing to be worried about, however we are very worried. What should I be looking for or what should I try doing?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your terrier?
Customer: I don't think so. He has a litter mate brother that he is very close with and he doesn't seem to have any problems. Our dogs are 8 years old. T
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 4 months ago.

Hi there this is Dr. Dani, I'm a small animal veterinarian and I'm happy to help with Teddy Roosevelt. That is quite a bit of weight loss in a few months! Was he on a strict diet? How often does he vomit? Does he tend to vomit at any particular time of day? Is he taking any medications? Please let me know anything else you think would be helpful and I'll be happy to make some recommendations.

And please remember to accept the answer and rate me when you are satisfied with your answer as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello no we just feed blue wilderness dog food 1 cup a day. He vomits bile when we go for a car ride and random times every few days. That we know of.

Thanks for additional information. Sometimes there are causes of weight loss that are not easily diagnosed on bloodwork. Additional tests such as abdominal ultrasound are often needed to figure out why a pet is losing weight. Has a routing fecal exam or deworming been performed to rule out intestinal parasites? If not, then I recommend a fecal and ultrasound as next steps. In addition, it is worth doing a home cooked diet trial (I like fish and potato or chicken and rice) plus Pepcid AC (1/4 tablet or 2.5mg for your Teddy once daily).

After a 2-4 week trial of home cooked food and Pepcid, if his is still losing weight, then pursuing additional tests is certainly in order.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for the information
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No we haven't had a fecal exam yet

You're welcome. Since you haven't had the fecal test done, that is an easy place to go next. Bring your vet a fresh fecal sample for analysis. Then you can pursue the other things I've recommended as you see fit. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

• Dr. Dani
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much

You're welcome! I hope you are able to find a diagnosis for Teddy Roosevelt (I love his name!). If you're satisfied with your answer, please make sure to rate me; otherwise please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Hi there I am just sending a friendly reminder to please make sure you rate me. Just answer does not compensate me for my time until you rate me, letting them know that you are satisfied with the service I gave. Thanks!

Dr. Dani

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?