PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 9 year old Chihuahua has been clinging to me that last

Customer Question

my 9 year old Chihuahua has been clinging to me that last week...he won't eat his regular food which he has always liked, runs outside and frantically looks for weeds to eat, and just seem lethargic...he has never in all these years done this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zoey..but he is a 9 year old neutered male
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?
Customer: not really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Are you seeing any vomiting or diarrhea?
2) Is he eating his regular food in a picky manner or absolutely refusing it altogether?
3) If he's not eating his regular food, what is he eating?
4) Is he ever allowed to eat human food?
5) Any history of past GI concerns?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Refusing to vomiting or diarrhea. ..he is just not eating and his stomach growls so loud. I can't feel any tumors. Really no human food. He has been picky before but not so fully refusing and not for so long

It's good news that he's not had any vomiting or diarrhea yet, but that may well be right around the corner for him if we can't get his upset stomach straightened out. That's part of why you're hearing the loud bowel sounds and he's been eating weeds.

There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If you do not see an improvement from the famotidine and offering a bland diet, I would recommend going to your vet's office for an exam and anti-nausea medication to be administered injectably to help get his GI tract feeling better so that he's not avoiding his normal food and eating weeds. Your vet may also want to run some blood work due to his age to be sure there are no underlying concerns that need to be addressed, like dehydration or organ dysfunction. Most pets do quite well with symptomatic GI treatments and are back to themselves within a few days time.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?