JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-
JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-,
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists
94585309

We have a 16 year old Beagle. A few days ago she she started

Customer Question

We have a 16 year old Beagle. A few days ago she she started walking funny; stumbling; head tilted in a funny position. In the morning time she acts fine. gets out of bed wagging her tail then after I feed her, the stumbling and head tilting starts. It's so bad she can't walk under her own power and has to be carried outside to go to the bathroom. I'm at a loss.
Category: Dog
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, It's possible that this is simply a problem called idiopathic vestibular disease- similar to vertigo in humans. I see you have tried aspirin though- does this means she acting painful? Vertigo is not normally painful. Another possibility, particularly if painful is disk disease. Beagles are one of the breeds that we see quite often with intervertebral disk disease. This can cause pain, difficulty walking and abnormal head carriage. It would be prudent to have her evaluated by an emergency veterinarian today, if possible. Sometimes high doses of steroids can turn this situation around. Let me know if you have any other questions - Dr. C

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She does not appear to be in pain. We were just giving her aspirin just because we assumed she might be in pain. I would assume that if it were a disk problem that when we picked her up she would yelp. That does not seem to be the problem. Could be vertigo. I can remember this happened once before it took a couple of days and she came out of it. I thought she may have been bitten by a snake or some other animal. I also checked to see if she had a tick at the base of her skull. But, no tick! She seems very lethargic and often stares at a wall or the ground when she is standing. I have read that that could be a symptom of dementia in dogs but I don't know if that would cause her other problems.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there any medication that we can give her to help with the symptoms until we can get her to a vet tomorrow?

I would stop giving the aspirin for sure, in case your vet does think it's a disk issue. It's really rough on the gastrointestinal tract to give steroids and aspirin together. For vertigo, we treat with meclizine 25 mg by mouth every 24 hours for 5- 7 days. This is a medication you can pick up at your local grocery store or pharmacy. Humans take it for motion sickness. It will not hurt her at all if it's not vertigo. I hope she feels better soon! - Dr. C

If I've answered all your questions, do you mind giving me a rating? If I haven't answered all your questions, how else may I assist you? -Dr. C

How are things going with your dog? Did you make it in to see your vet today? Do you mind taking a moment to give me a rating? Thanks - Dr. C