Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has been chewing on mself a lot because he has severe

Customer Question

My dog has been chewing on himself a lot because he has severe allergies. I've tried everything to alleviate the problem and he is on a prescription hydolyzed hypoallergenic food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Today he threw up bright orange bile. He never throws up but I think he's been chewing on himself so much, it made him sick.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He once had that hemorrhagic bleeding thing years ago. He's allergic to every kind of meet and he's allergic to grass!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

It appears that you're at the point at which he'll either require allergy testing in the form of skin scratch or blood testing and then have a desensitizing serum produced with which you would give "allergy shots" or eschew the testing and begin administrating the new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib (Apoquel) which works as well as a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone in desensitizing patients such as he but without the adverse effects (increased thirst, volume of urine, and appetite; panting, e.g.) of a steroid. For completeness sake, I need to reinforce that his vet needs to be sure that any concomitant bacterial, yeast, or mite infection is treated intensively and resolved.

Can you tell me, please, is his pruritis (itchiness) seasonal? Which areas of his body are the most often chewed or scratched?