Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I've been traveling in my camper van with my two yorkies.

Customer Question

hello,
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: so, I've been traveling in my camper van with my two yorkies. One was sick but now he's feeling better. The other one has been shaking when she's laying down until she feels asleep. She has showed no interests in ball, which she is obsessed with. She's having BMs and urinating. Her appetite has been spotty. She was back to almost normal self yesterday, then I woke up this morning and she's exhibiting the same behaviors again. We have been on the road for two months. Lots of changes in her little life for the past 6 months.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Reggie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reggie?
Customer: No. I think she might be depressed with everything. She lived in the same house for 10 years that I sold. Then we stayed with a friend for 4 months. Now we are on the road. I quit my job, so I can work at art shows full time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I believe, because Reggie is not showing any signs of a digestive problem or infection, that she is suffering from anxiety due to the changes in her environment. Stress is a very powerful thing especially in sensitive Yorkies and this could be the root of the problem that is now showing as illness. The best thing to do is to have your vet examine Reggie to be sure there is not a medical component of this and if this is ruled out your vet can prescribe anti anxiety medications such as Fluoxetine to help her through these stressful periods.

Until you can have this done, purchase a DAP Collar for Reggie, available at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help decrease her anxiety and help her past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have some of this, so I'll give it to her. thanks!

Excellent! This may help Reggie past this stress...good luck!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta