Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My 75lb golden retriever has a lot of arthritic p pain after

Customer Question

My 75lb golden retriever has a lot of arthritic hip pain after swimming today. I've given her 1/2 tablet of deramaxx several hours ago and she is still in a lot of pain. Is there anything more I can do before bedtime?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Madigan 8yo
JA: How old is Madigan?
Customer: 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Madigan?
Customer: She takes dasiquin daily, deramaxx on the weekends when we're at the lake
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Is this the 100 mg strength Deramaxx you are using?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
75mg split in 1/2

Hello again thanks for the quick reply,

Sorry to hear Madigan is uncomfortable however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Unfortunately you cannot use any of the human over the counter pain killers because almost all are very unsuitable for dogs, the exception being aspirin. But aspirin should not now be used since it is the same class of drug as deramaxx { NSAID } so overdose could result.

2. What you can do though is to top up the deramaxx up to the safest prescribed dose level, this being 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight meaning 75 mg in your case. So basically just give her the other half of your 75 mg tablet.

3. Where I give owners advice about drugs or dose rates I like to provide a link so they can check the accuracy of my answers and read more on the topic in more depth : LINK

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Madigan's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.