Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My French bulldog eye is red and protruding outside of her

Customer Question

Hi I'm Carmen and my French bulldog eye is red and protruding outside of her eye
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Eye?
Customer: It's been a few months and now she has green mucous
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eye?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How old is your dog?

Is it in the corner of her eye?

Does it look anything like this: http://www.drfrenchie.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/iStock_000020204885_Large-2-copy.jpg

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is 4 years old. Its all over the eye please see photo.
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

I can see the discharge in the photo, but not the redness you were talking about. Is there another photo that shows it a little bit better?

And how long has this been going on with her?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please see photos
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I lightened the photo. It's been 4 months Ned we've tried drops.
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since this has been going on for a while now, I suspect that the redness and now the discharge could be signs of an ocular infection...especially since the discharge is green.

Obviously, because it's the eye, it's something we need to address as soon as possible, so ideally, if there is an emergency vet in your area, I would have her seen today, just because eye infections that are left untreated often become a cause of blindness in the dog.

That being said, if there is no emergency vet in your area, then you can clean that eye several times a day with a warm, damp cloth. Make sure to wipe away any of the discharge on the outside of the eye only. Never rub the eyeball itself. Then, on Monday, give your regular vet a call and have them take a peek at her, so they can get her on some antibiotic drops to get the infection cleared up.

I hope this helps.