Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

He has a bald spot that he chewed on s p. It has a red

Customer Question

He has a bald spot that he chewed on his hip. It has a red raised rash in it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Doug. 1.5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Doug?
Customer: Not really. This just popped up. We have a new kitten so i thought it might be stress until I saw how irritated it looks. Kind of pimply
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. If this is a spot he is chewing he has likely caused a hot spot and it sounds like it may be infected. When a dog chews an area the bacteria in the mouth causes an infection. Hot spots are moist dermatitis , meaning the skin is always kept wet usually through chewing.

The best bet until you can get to your Vet for antibiotic spray is to shave any hair away from the area, wash frequently through the day with an antibacterial wash , dry well and then apply a triple antibiotic ointment that does not contain Zinc oxide. Get a Comfy cone collar from your pet store or online and use that so the dog cannot lick it anymore,. See your vet for appropriate medication to help heal the wound. It may go deep under the skin.

I'll send you a link going over hot spots http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/skin/acute-moist-dermatitis-hot-spots-in-dogs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.