Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog has a cough and spitting up foam. What do u think

Customer Question

My dog has a cough and spitting up foam. What do u think could be wrong with her,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's about 8 year's old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: She hasn't been eating that much
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had thee signs?

Any breathing changes?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Is it quite a harsh cough?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you about Bella but do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, coughing in older dogs can be triggered by a range of issues (just like people). Specifically, in her case we’d have to consider infectious agents like bacteria (ie bordetella), viruses (ie parainfluenza, coronavirus), or parasites (ie heart worm or lung worm). As well, we can also see coughing of this nature associated with bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia, lung tumors, tracheal disease (ie polpys, growths, tracheal collapse, etc), or sometimes heart issues.

With all these in mind, it would be best to consider having a check-up with her vet. Ideally, we want her vet to listen to his upper airway, lungs, and heart. Depending on their findings, it may just be a case of antibiotics to treat any infection present but if they find anything amiss with her lungs or heart then an xray or heart scan may be indicated to let you see what is actually going on within in her chest so that appropriate treatment can be started for her to soothe that cough.

Otherwise, just in the meantime until you have her seen, I do want to note a few options you can try to soothe her throat and try to reduce this coughing First, you can try her with plain over the counter glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it). Typically we will give a milliliter (~1/4 teaspoon) as needed. This will aid to soothe his throat and settle any upper airway related coughing. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM. If you choose to use this one, I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any containing other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. These will help soothe throat irritation and can help at least decrease coughing until you have her seen. As well, since sore throats can compromise appetites, do try offering soft foods. As well, if she cannot eat much, we can use canned puppy food (watered down if need be) since this will have more nutrition per bite if she cannot eat much for us.

Overall this cough does raise a few concerns. Therefore, do try the above to give her throat some relief, but it would be prudent to follow up with her vet once they are open. The can listen to her chest and help you pinpoint the cause of her cough. And once that is diagnosed, you will be able to treat her cough effectively and halt it for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?