Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Her belly is gurgling and she has strained to poop 4x but

Customer Question

Her belly is gurgling and she has strained to poop 4x but nothing comes out and has bomited bile looking water. But runs in the grass for potty
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chloe 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: No she was just at the vet last Friday for rabies, distemper shots and heart worm test
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she had these signs?

Has she passed any stool or is she just trying to?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She started this after work or at some point yesterday. No abnormal food or item. Belly not tender to touch. No stool just pushing. She did push out a small piece the first time that was yellow an mush about the size of a dime but nothing since. Water is ok, but she has puked a bit
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that she isn't likely to have eaten anything non-edible to cause herself a blockage. With this aside, it sounds like she has tenesmus. This is a condition where they strain like they need to pass stool because the colon is inflamed and making them feel like there is stool to be passed. And if the colon is inflamed and she does strain, that can then trigger the vomiting center in the brain to lead to mild vomiting.

In regards ***** ***** for this, we can see inflammation triggered by diarrhea inducing infections but also inflammatory colitis, anal gland issues, parasitic/protozoal infections (ie whipworms, giardia, etc) and general dietary indiscretions or gut infections. As well, at Chloe's age, we'd also have to be wary of more sinister issues like tumors compressing the gut or thickening it from the inside. With how sudden this has started, we'd hope that isn't the cause but it is something we need to keep in mind.

With this in mind, we'd want to try some supportive care to see if we can get her settled. To start, we can reduce her nausea with an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Whichever you choose, I'd note that you can add some fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to this as it will bulk up loose stools but also push anything caught in the gut through. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Finally, since these kinds of upsets can be related to parasites, you can consider worming her at this stage. Ideally, we'd use Panacur (fenbendazole) to counter worms but also some of our protozoal concerns. And we could also start probiotics (ie Fortiflora) to help stabilize her good gut bacteria. Finally, you can also choose to use a low dose of OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (1-2 ml every 8-12 hours) just as a means of coating the gut to reduce irritation.

Overall, Chloe's signs do raise a few concerns. For the moment, we can use the above to reduce her nausea and try to reduce her colonic irritation. Though if severe, if she doesn't pass stool normally, or doesn't settle in the next 12-24 hours, we'd want to plan to have a check with her vet to rule out those other concerns and get this settled for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )