Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog chewed a lizard & now is throwing up, bloody

Customer Question

My dog chewed a lizard & now is throwing up, bloody diarrhea. What do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just the lizard, eat some grass, she's a chiauhha, & have in my room w papers all over, if it's salmonella, I could get it?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Angel, 2 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?
Customer: Just eatting lizard was healthy till then, she eat it yesterday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Angel. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I see she ate a lizard yesterday. Do you know what kind of lizard? When did the diarrhea start?

If it is Salmonella, you could get it if you get any of her diarrhea into your mouth. If you wash your hands after touching her or cleaning up her diarrhea, you probably won't get it.

If she has an infection like Salmonella, she may need antibiotics. You would have to see your veterinarian to get prescription medication like antibiotics. You can try treating her diarrhea with Imodium or Pepto Bismal. if she weighs 10 pounds, she can take 1/4th tsp of Pepto Bismal twice daily or 1/4th of an Imodium twice daily.

Is she eating and drinking? If not she could become dehdyrated. Try to keep her hydrated with water, Pedialyte or broth.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is she doing? Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you!