Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Dr. Salkin, we have connected in the past with my diabetic

Customer Question

Dr. Salkin, we have connected in the past with my diabetic standard poodle Radley. He has been doing great on 17 units BID, WD prescription diet. Did a curve after talking to you April 26 and did another 2 weeks ago.However today, I took him to the groomers. He got his regular shot and food this AM, off to the groomer at 8:00.At 3PM the groomer noticed that he was wobbly and couldn't walk. We got him in the car.I got him home (had to carry him into the house). I fed him a commercial food (hoping for sugar) and put honey on it. He ate really well.While he was still laying in the spot to which I carried him, I tested him
4:20 reading was "LO."
5:20 was 108.
6:20 was 398.He regularly gets a shot after food at 6:30. Believe he needs 17 units tonight.Is that correct and how do I proceed after this event?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Sorry for the delay, I just got back from hiking. No, 17 units wouldn't be appropriate. I'm concerned that the Somogyi effect is present. I would give 9 units and speak to Radley's vet in the AM before giving another dose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.