PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog ate a whole package of some sort of yesterday. She

Customer Question

My dog ate a whole package of some sort of brownies yesterday. She seemed fine but this am she looks like she's not feeling well. She had a large bowel movement and seems to be shaking a bit and her back leg seems stiff but she's walking. Wha should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Riley is a 6 yr old lab
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riley?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.
Good morning, JACUSTOMER. It's very common for dogs who have had some dietary indiscretion to later follow it up with not feeling well. This usually results in some nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. As well, chocolate can be toxic for dogs, so addressing a similar consumption within a few hours of it happening can save an owner from the repercussions of such an ingestion. Luckily, at her size, if this was a small brownie package she's unlikely to have ingested enough to cause problems with the chocolate in the brownies...but at any size it's enough for a GI upset.I would begin by resting her stomach for 2 hours with no food or water. In this time, give only a single dose of pepcid at a dose of 0.5mg/pound of body weight. This can be repeated every 12-24 hours. After two hours, then begin giving small amounts of a bland diet like boiled chicken breast and rice. This diet should continue for 3-5 days and then she can slowly move back over to her kibble.If her symptoms persist, you see any blood being passed in her vomit or stool, there is intestinal cramping, refusal to eat or drink, etc. She needs to see a vet promptly.If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave a positive rating for me. This is the only way that the website will compensate me for helping you today,

Checking in. How is Riley feeling?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?