Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just ingested some insulin that i give to my cat. it

Customer Question

my dog just ingested some insulin that i give to my cat. it fell off the counter and broke as i was ck
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his a 1 1\2 year old lab
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Good news! Insulin isn't very effective when given orally, so if he had a wee bit then this is a low risk situation. In this case, we'd want to rinse his mouth with cool water to remove any insulin residue and flush out any broken glass (the bigger worry) he may have licked.

Otherwise, to just err on the side of caution, you can plan to offer him small meals of his regular diet or a light one (ie cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only)) to keep his blood sugar up over the next 12-24 hours to keep his blood sugar up. And if we do see any signs of low blood sugar (is wobbliness, weakness, lethargy, or collapse) then we'd want to rub a sugary syrup (ie karo, glucose, pancake syrup) on his gums to boost his sugar and have him checked by his vet. But again this is unlikely and we'd not expect any serious harm from this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much I could smell it on his breath and was very concerned !!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome,

If you can smell it, then we certainly want to give this a good flushing out to remove as much as possible. And I would use the above over today while monitoring him to just counter any risk here. Though again if we see any of those warning signs (if he has had a bit more then we suspect), then that would be our cue to have a check up with his vet to check his blood sugar levels.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.