Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have a 10 yr old Russel who has recently been diagnosed

Customer Question

We have a 10 yr old Jack Russel who has recently been diagnosed with Leiomyosarcoma. It began in the spleen which was removed last week and has also been located in the liver, which was deemed inoperable. We reside in Madison and have been working with Dr. Kai Shiu and Dr Harpreet Signh whom we have been very pleased with. We are meeting next week to discuss chemo options, both of which are intended to slow the growth not cure. My question is has the UW vet school made strides in liver transplantation for dogs? And would Jack "the ***** *****" be a potential candidate for such a procedure? Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I am sorry to hear about Jack's liver cancer. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I have been doing a search, and can't find that the UW or any vet school is doing liver transplantation in dogs; it is still in the experimental stages. I am sorry, but a transplant does not appear to be an option for Jack right now. I would talk to the oncologists at UW about chemo options for him.

Let me know if I can reasearch or answer anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

How is Jack doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you. How is Jack doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hi Gillian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?