Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She is limping and the top of her right foot seems swollen :

Customer Question

She is limping and the top of her right foot seems swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Myself, my husband, and a friend all checked the dogs legs, feet, and toes/pads to make sure we didn't see anything.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Reese is 3 1/2 year old runt, cavalier king Charles spaniel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reese?
Customer: She did not Yelp in pain at all when we checked her out not even moving around in discomfort and she seems fine other than limping
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

We can get to the bottom of this. Have you gently but progressively pressed on that swelling? Traumatic inflammation - sprain, strain, fracture - is invariably painful. An envenomation, however, by flying insect or spider might numb the area yet cause swelling.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can squeeze it and she doesn't even notice

That eliminates serious trauma. Perhaps an envenomation, then. Do you see any erythema (reddening) associated with the inflammation? Do we have to be concerned about venomous snakes where you live?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her pads are black, I can't see any red anywhere. I live in Canada. So no venomous snakes around.

Thank you. There's no reason to believe that her lameness represents anything serious. Let's see how aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily affects her gait. That will tell us, too, if the inflammation is associated with lameness pain. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I gave her 1/2 an allergy pill. So I hope that helps. Thank you for easing my mind.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?