Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dachshund is 6 years old. I noticed today that she has

Customer Question

Hi pearl
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: My dachshund is 6 years old. I noticed today that she has what seems to be a swollen lump on her right side(neck near jaw but below)
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** She has a sister and and her neck doesn't have anything swollen. It doesn't hurt her and she seems no different but it clearly is swollen. It feels more inside her throat and is squishy.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?
Customer: She's a bit over weight but very athletic, active & smart:-) they both are my angels.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My nae is Joan and I am a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Is the lump solid or mushy?

Does it feel attached?

Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

In dogs we see quite a few lumps and bumps pop up. Many times they are nothing more than a Lipoma which is a Benign fatty mass. Sometimes we see a cyst which can have fluid or a cheesey material in it and this usually needs to be opened and cleaned out and an antibiotic given. Those can occur when the dog may have gotten an insect bite or it may be a sebacious cyst. That comes from an oil gland that can get clogged and continues to grow. They are very common:

We may also have a tumor, that can be bengin or we can have one that is cancerous. At this point since we do not know what we are dealing with, the best course of action would be to have your boy into the Vet and they can do an X ray and also what is called a fine needle aspirate. That is where they pull some of the cells out and send them to the Lab for analysis. Once this is done you will know what type of lump you are dealing with and what can be done if anything (removal or leave it).

Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.
Hi Cherish,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?