How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16215
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Beagle ate 3 pb and chocolate chip bars between 8-12pm.

Customer Question

Beagle ate 3 pb and chocolate chip bars between 8-12pm. She's acting normal, but drank a lot of water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name and age?
Customer: 14 yrs old
JA: What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Shi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shai?
Customer: She's on a diet of just her dog food, medication and occasional yogurt and carrots.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How many hours ago was this (as your time zone isn't listed)?

How much does she weigh?

How many chocolate chips would you estimate were in each bar? Where they milk or semi-sweet chocolate?

Any xylitol (an artificial sugar) in the product?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is 1pm now. It happened anywhere between 8am-12pm. She weighs about 30lbs. No xylitol. Prob like ten very sml chips of semi sweet chocolate in each bar.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now in regards ***** ***** bars, it will only be the chocolate chips that we have to be wary of. Though since this isn’t much chocolate per bar, we’d only expect GI signs (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, drooling, etc) for your lass and not the more serious signs of chocolate toxicity (ie irregular/fast heart rate, abnormal breathing, tremors and even seizures. And I would note that the increased thirst could be related to the more benign components of these bars or a nausea sign for Shi.

With this all in mind, we do have a few options. To start, if you think she had them more recently (within the past 2 hours), we can induce vomiting to get as much our of her stomach as possible. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively if we think it was closer to the start of that time frame, you can use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, since her signs are mild and this sounds like a low grade exposure, you can choose to monitor and use supportive care for her. In regards ***** ***** we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this sounds like a low level chocolate ingestion for Shi. So, depending on when in that time frame you suspect she got into these, we can use the above to block absorption and keep her stomach comfortable as this runs its course for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet