Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She has what was a knot under the skin but has now opened

Customer Question

She has what was a knot under the skin but has now opened and bleeds. If I put neosporin on it, they go away. But was researching to see if I could see what it is.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lola, she is 4.5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?
Customer: She is a English Bulldog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: No change in how she is acting
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had this?

Does only blood come out when it ruptures? Any other fluid? If so, what color?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have noticed the knots for awhile. But today is the first one has ruptured. There is blood around the site of the rupture, but did not notice any other fluid.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

And since you only saw blood, was it quite a bit or just a small volume around the edges (from breaking through the skin)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just a small volume around the edges. Enough that it turned her white coat red/brown colored.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now based on what you have described, we do have a few concerns for Lola.

If she has multiple knots with one that has ruptured, we'd be wary of these being cysts, abscesses (less likely if we have multiple over the body that have been present for some time), or a possible tumor. In regards ***** ***** latter, we can see mast cell tumors, hemangiopericytomas, and hemagiosarcomas appear as multiples lumps (and the last 2 can contain blood, though all can cause a bleed from the skin as you have described).

With these in mind and since she has a few, the best way to approach these is to have your vet evaluate the mass via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst would be likely. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the mass can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.

Overall, if one of these "knots" has ruptured, then we do want to tread with care and would want to have Lola's vet rule out those aforementioned concerns. Therefore, if she is due a booster soon, then do consider moving that appointment up so that you can have your vet sample one of these lumps for her to identify its cause and help you treat them effectively for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?