Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My female shiba-inu just ate and swallowed a lizard that she

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my female shiba-inu just ate and swallowed a lizard that she found in my backyard. Should I do anything???? I'm worried!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No, none that I'm aware of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What kind of lizard was this? Your typical Green Anole?

Is she showing any signs of illness at this point?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I live in Las Vegas near the desert. I don't know what kind, I only know it's brown or tan grey on top and colors on its tummy area. Small lizard enough for a Shiba Inu to hold and swallow in its mouth. She kept chewing it as I was chasing her then when I caught her I notice she swallowed it. Ughhhhh!! :((
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the information. It is unlikely there she will have any toxicity issues here. The only lizards considered to be poisonous are the Mexican Beaded Lizard and the Gila Monster. It is unlikely she ingested either of those. It is possible that she may develop a slight upset stomach, but in most cases, dogs do not have many problems after ingesting lizards. I would monitor her for multiple episodes of vomiting, diarrhea for more than 24 hours, blood in the stool, lack of appetite or abdominal pain. If you see any of these issues, I would have her evaluated by a vet ASAP. Otherwise, it should be fine to monitor her. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.